Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Happy Holidays !


Welcome Everyone! I make sculptures outdoors in nature of natural and found materials. I then photograph the sculptures using natural light and process the images with minimal changes. I do not add anything to the images that were not there in the environment, though I may remove some elements to 'clean' the image up a bit. I do not use special effects in my photography. I have been doing this work for just over 2 years now. Many people have asked me to tell them about the process of creating the Faerie houses and "Eartherials", so I've decided to create this blog as a means of sharing my work with my fans. I am very new to blogging so I hope you'll forgive me if I make any mistakes. Each week I will be posting a new image and the story behind the creation of the sculpture in the photo. So much can happen when I set out to make a piece... there are always little bits of magic and mystery that accompany the process and I hope you will enjoy these adventures as much as I do. Life is such a joy and Mystery and real magic is around every corner. I hope to provide my viewers with a glimpse into my creative process and some of the trials and triumphs as I work with Nature to create little bits of fun and mystery for the wee folk and for you as well !

Thank you for viewing my blog and I hope you will become a regular visitor !






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sally, I especially love your ice sculptures. I always think the world looks like a fairyland after a snowfall or an ice storm -- what beautiful things you do to create even more magical worlds.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sally,
Great to see your work on line. The story of it's creation is of greatest interest and fascination to me. I remember when we would harvest birch bark and make little canoes or paint pictures on it. You've been at it a long time!! You are evolving into such an amazing artist with creativity that could only come from you.
Your longtime friend and fan, Judy

Merritt said...

I can hardly wait Sally, this must be akin to heading out for the NW Passage knowing the earth Is flat.
MEB3

Anonymous said...

Sally
The disks arrived and I AM Impressed,the pieces are Most unreal and your photographic skills are impressive as well. Jennifer and I sat and looked, our jaws dropped. Stunning work !!!!!!!!!
Merritt

Anonymous said...

Oh keep up the good work! Lovely lovely!! I just know your faeries are very thrilled with these wonderful works of art!

Welcome to the enchanted world of Environmental art and Faerie Houses sculptures created by Sally J Smith. Here you will find photos of the artist's unique art-forms and hear some of the stories from behind the scenes as she shares with you her creative process.