Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ice Faerie lost her wand?

I chuckle to myself as I wonder just how many other images of very cold thermometers got posted to the internet today. I'm sure I'm in good company.

It had been a long time since we've seen this kind of cold.This was taken around midnight. I know it got much colder by dawn.
The stillness and quiet outside at night is powerful in its depth and weight. It is as if we are all holding our breath for some reason... this sort of cold is dangerous and our animal selves knows it. Everything retracts and is held tightly within... Plans, activities, thoughts, chores.... all are put "on hold" if possible as we wait the passing of this particular dense, arctic clarity. Personally, I like the stillness. But I am blessed. I am in a warm house as are all my loved ones, so it is easy to put another log in the woodstove and make another cuppa tea and work quietly some more on my book.

But then the sky clears a bit (it had been a luminous grey for much of the day) and even though it was very cold, I thought I might take a chance and see if I could get a photo of the sculpture I had made the other day. The light held and so did my camera for the time needed to get the shots, but the sky never cleared completely so the brilliant blue shadows of a clear winter twilight never appeared. But the first round of photos gave a good result. I covered the sculpture up to slow the sublimation process and I hope we may get some better light later in the week. Till then, this works quite nicely, I think.

Welcome to the enchanted world of Environmental art and Faerie Houses sculptures created by Sally J Smith. Here you will find photos of the artist's unique art-forms and hear some of the stories from behind the scenes as she shares with you her creative process.