Thursday, February 7, 2019

Of Ice Discs and Blood Moons

(Apologies in advance- this post was written earlier and did not get published immediately. Life got busy and the eclipse is long passed.)

As I write this, the full moon has begun her passage into the shadow of the earth and we, in this part of the country have just endured our fist big snowstorm in several years. It is bitterly cold outside and we thought we would still be enshrouded by the storm and miss the eclipse event, but it has passed and the velvety black of night holds the moon as she makes her way into the veil of the earth. Such magic this is!
Circling CirclesTotal Lunar Eclipse_NASA
I have been of few words here in my blog of late and to my readers, I apologize. Life in the north woods has been more challenging as I slowly relinquish the strength and vigor of my youth to advanced “middle” age. Things take longer to accomplish than they did a decade ago. The weather is not as reliable and predictable as it once was. And all the chores of winter still must be done. Heating with wood takes a great deal of time and effort but I enjoy most of the ritual. Preparing for winter requires many steps and tasks that cannot be overlooked or you will not do well once the deep cold hits. Fortunately there was just enough time to complete all the vital chores before the big snows came this week-end. Tomorrow will be the big dig-out, but for right now, the woodstove is pumping the heat of the sun which the trees stored in their limbs and trunks and I am very grateful to have the gift of that stored energy warming my home now.

Circling Circles
Pinecone fire in the woodstove
There have been a predominance of ice circles in the news these past weeks. If you are not familiar with the phenomenon,

 here is a link to a big one that formed in a river in Maine:

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/01/14/news/portland/giant-ice-disc-in-maine-river-attracts-attention/
and here is one of the earlier ones that was discovered in Scotland:
Ice pancake photo by Michael Traill

 https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-46757826
We had one too under the bridge that goes over the Boquet river just down the road from my house. Unfortunately, it had grown too big and the air had became too cold and it stopped spinning and froze up. I got to see it the next day and even though it was no longer spinning, it was still eerily magical. The lines you see in the snow were there when I took the photo….the last remnants of the flowing water was  just able to seep up the edge of the wheel to mark the snow above.

When the wheel stopped turning – click on image to see full size

So as the moon dons her deep red cloak overhead and the formerly bright shadows on the snow dim and shudder in the howling cold, I am feeling humbled and blessed to simply be alive and able to witness these enchanting moments of haunting beauty.
As for my work, the making of Fairy Houses continues. I have a very special one I hope to photograph soon. I have been needing good snow for the image and so far our winter has been rather brown and drab. After this week-end and 16 inches of fresh, glittering powder I am eager to find just the right place to take the photos.
I am continuing to work on the Kickstarter book as that project has been way, way overdue.  There are so many great news images to put into the book that I’ve had to anguish over which images to let go of in order to bring the new ones in. It’s a bit like trying to freeze the river of time…you cannot, you can only make adjustments to each new bend in the river and keep doing your best.
There is another very large, long-term project that I am embarking on as well, but I am unable to discuss it right now but eventually I hope to share it all with you. My readers and supporters have been so kind and generous to support my work year after year… it means more than you know. Recently I learned that thanks to all of you, you have put my calendars in the #1 and #2 ranking in Amazon under the Architectural calendars category!  Thank you so much as this is a big honor and difficult to achieve, but your support has made it happen!

The moon is just about fully eclipsed now, so I am going to sign off for the moment and don my down coat and warm winter boots and go out and stand under the stars and bear witness to the Great Mystery; the spinning of wheels within wheel and circles within circles that hold us together and keep us expanding out with our curiosity and our creativity. May you continue to find and nurture yours and may you find yourself being surprised by something delightful and unusual in your world wherever you are. Magic is everywhere, you just have to be open to letting it reveal itself to you.

Bright Blessings to one and all

No comments:

Welcome to the enchanted world of Environmental art and Faerie Houses sculptures created by Sally J Smith. Here you will find photos of the artist's unique art-forms and hear some of the stories from behind the scenes as she shares with you her creative process.