Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Icicle Palace with Spiral path

This structure was made last winter. It is the first image in the new calendar and is one of my all-time favourites. The conditions were perfect...a calm day with stable temps in the mid 20s. I had collected a ton of icicles from the lake, but this location was at my house. I have a stone circle under construction in the garden and I decided to build on one of the standing stones.

I worked for about 5 hours to make this piece and the sun had come around from behind some dense balsam trees to illuminate the structure in a most astonishing way. Later as the sun set, the structure glowed pink and turquoise... and those images are beautiful too... but this view is just the perfect one to begin the new year.
What continues to amaze me is the very simple realization... that this is just water and sunlight... and a bit of time, attention and intention from a human.

What beauty will you be attending to this week?

No comments:

Welcome to the enchanted world of Environmental art and Faerie Houses sculptures created by Sally J Smith. Here you will find photos of the artist's unique art-forms and hear some of the stories from behind the scenes as she shares with you her creative process.