Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ice sunburst

Finally. The first fresh ice sculpture of 2010.

I have many more photos of this sculpture which I will be sharing later this week, but this image seemed the best one for celebrating the arrival of the 2010 sculpture season.

The small, golden particles hovering above surface of the snow are grains of snow being whipped across the fields by the strong northerly winds. I don't have to tell you it was brutally cold. I love the way the golden light casts the illusion of warmth... but there are other images where the cold is fully evident. I'll post those soon.

Welcome to the enchanted world of Environmental art and Faerie Houses sculptures created by Sally J Smith. Here you will find photos of the artist's unique art-forms and hear some of the stories from behind the scenes as she shares with you her creative process.