Friday, October 22, 2010

Faerie Sighting

I am very excited to share with you what may be my first real Faerie photograph. I will show just the original photo today, with detailed images coming soon! See if you can find it. There may actually be two here. This is not a Photoshop trick or a camera trick. I have used Photoshop just to process the image and improve the colours a wee bit, but the Faeries, which are visible in this image, were a surprise to me because I did not "see" them when I was taking the photos, but I did have a strong connection to them at the time. Let me explain.

I had the main portion of this sculpture all ready to take to a different location, a tiny rocky island in the river would give lovely reflections and a sweet sense of place for this rather large house. It is a complex design so I was looking for a simplified background. I thought the slow-moving river would be the perfect backdrop. As I was getting ready to pack everything up in the morning to go to the river, I asked the Faeries if the location I had in mind was the right one for this piece. I got a very clear message that NO, they did not want me to go there. I was quite surprised. So I asked where they wanted this sculpture to be placed. They told me they wanted me here at this stone wall which is very near my house. I was even more surprised because the location was considerably less "magical" than what I had in mind.

But I've learned to not question the Faeries!

It took several hours but I set the house up and began taking some photos. I had to do a lot of clearing and prep work for this location because it was just not really suited for this piece. By the time I was ready to start shooting, the sun was past it's high point and it was beginning to descend in the western sky so everything was backlit ... when the sun was out, but there were many clouds too. I took a few photos but was not overly impressed with the location. I wondered why the faeries wanted me to set up here?? It wasn't making much sense... but sometimes you have to wait for things to happen.

Stay tuned for more of the story! And close-ups of the visiting Faerie/Faeries !!

No comments:

Welcome to the enchanted world of Environmental art and Faerie Houses sculptures created by Sally J Smith. Here you will find photos of the artist's unique art-forms and hear some of the stories from behind the scenes as she shares with you her creative process.